Friday, October 14, 2022

Phlake - Phine (Album) + 10 Questions

 

Danish R&B duo Phlake have today released their brand new album ‘Phine’ via Idris Elbas’s label, 7Wallace.

The album includes their brand new single ‘Fancy Water’ featuring Nigerian Afropop and R&B artist Joeboy and follows their previous single ‘Bitter’ featuring Che Lingo as well as tracks ‘2minand ‘10 Feetreleased earlier this year.

Phlake’s fourth studio album Phine takes the listener on their journey to their inner self to explore the meanings and emotions of ‘fine’, posing the question, are we actually fine when we say we are? Showcasing their smooth and modern take on R&B, the album provides a huge sense of transparency with Elkær’s flair for R&B production, bittersweet falsetto vocals from Bo, and the creative wordplay that depicts universal feelings of loneliness, falling in love and despair. Phine is the culmination of two men finally having the time to reflect, breathe and be at peace with the fact that things aren’t always fine.

“The album revolves around the life we’ve been living the last couple years as Phlake. There is a big transformation on the album: how do you feel when you break up with someone or meet a new person, and how does that affect you?” Jonathan Elkær explains.

“Phine is an album that wants to address life’s difficult sides and prepare us for being better at talking about our problems and going into those battles that may seem unmanageable” Mads Bo Iversen says.

Phlake is made up of producer Jonathan Elkær and singer Mads Bo Iversen. Hailing from Copenhagen, the duo are one of the fastest rising acts to come out of Denmark in recent times, finding themselves in the spotlight back in 2016 after the release of their debut album, Slush Hours and since then they have gone on to achieve three gold and platinum albums as well as several Danish Grammy’s. Over the course of their career, Phlake have amassed over 180 million global streams, performing sold-out headline shows in London, Copenhagen, Berlin, Amsterdam and Oslo.

Phlake sat down with Wordplay Magazine to answer our infamous 10 Questions:

1. So tell me, how did it all begin? What sparked your love for music?

Jonathan: We were a group of kids when I was growing up that became friends because we all loved rap music. It was back in the 90’s when hip hop was still super underground. Our mutual love for hip hop made us feel like we had something special in common. And I think that really gave us an intense drive. Also the whole competition part of the rap culture made us push each other to constantly grow better.

Mads: I’ve been singing my whole life. Some of the best and earliest childhood memories are probably of me and my granddad singing and whistling in the garden at my grandparents house. Guess it all really started back then. And ofc when I heard The Beatles for the first time (:

2. Who are some artists that influence you and that you want to work with in the future?

Jonathan: I love Questlove, SZA, Mark Ronson, Tame Impala and Khruangbin just to name a few. Also a big fan of John Mayer.

Mads: Haha so many. Could’ve said the same as Jonathan (: But if I should continue the list I’d put Sade, Simply Red, Frank Ocean, Rick Rubin, Spooky Black and Fred Again.. on there.

3.  What projects do you have coming up and can you give us any info on them?

Jonathan: The next and fourth Phlake album is dropping 14th oct. I’m very proud of it. We made a lot of songs to choose from and I really don’t feel like there is anything I could remove from the album at this point. Even if I had to. Besides Phlake, I have a project with this artist called Carly Gibert that I’m really excited about. She is originally from Spain and sings in both English and Spanish. We had a couple of sessions in LA and ended up doing a whole project together. She doesn’t have a lot of songs out yet, but we are about to release the project pretty soon.

Mads: Yeah, the Phine album as well. Some of the songs on there go a while back - I think “Get It” and “Better Days” are both from 2018. So they’ve been with us for some time now, and even though I’m ready and really happy about releasing them it still feels a bit weird (:

4. How would you describe your sound?

Jonathan: When we first started out, we called it rhythm n’ balls. Because I came from being a hip hop producer combined with Mads’s soulful voice.

And then our sound developed through the years, along with our music taste. But also from working with a lot of different artists that inspired us. We’ve never been afraid of mixing genres. So I guess we grew more and more eclectic through the years. And less r&b. Though I think r&b is still the core that we stem from.

5. What's your proudest moment to date so far as an artist?

Jonathan: We once had a session with Scott Storch. He is like my childhood hero. The session didn’t turn out that well and we didn’t even make a song. But I’m proud that he reached out and wanted to work with us. And I got to meet him. And we did a pretty cool beat that I still listen to now and then

Haha I’ve got a very similar story. We also met up with Teddy Riley in a studio in Las Vegas once. But after a few hours he went bowling with his entourage. He was extremely sweet but unfortunately we couldn’t really find the right vibe.

Mads: Another huge moment for us came when we opened the Orange Stage (the main stage) at Roskilde Festival in 2017. It’s the biggest stage at the biggest festival in Denmark (around 130.000 people).

 

6. Do you have any advice for our readers who may be trying to play the mad game of music?

Jonathan: Whatever part of your personality you are most embarrassed of; that’s gonna be the part that characterises you the most. So don’t shy away from that. Figure out how to make peace with it and how to make it work in your music. That’s the moment when you become original and find your own expression.

Oh yeah, and don’t forget to collaborate! That’s where all the magic and learning happens!

Mads: Unless you are a one-man army, I’d probably try and find someone to work and have fun with who loves music as much as you do. If it’s someone (could be 1, could be more) that has the same aspirations as yourself - and you are able to challenge each other musically and on a personal level, then you’re off to a pretty good start.

7. Are there any artists on your radar right now that we should check out?

Jonathan: I’m pretty bad at checking up for new music. I’m too busy finishing albums. And when I get home I’ve gotta rest my ears.

Mads: Can’t wait to see what Ice Spice comes out with next. The “Munch (Feelin’ U)”-song hit me hard” (Mads)

8. What albums are on heavy rotation on your Spotify playlist currently?

Jonathan: Mostly old stuff. Like Herbie Hancock, Bobby Caldwell, Chic, Donald Byrd, Roberta Flack and stuff like that.

Mads: Frank Ocean’s “Nostalgia, Ultra” is always a go to for me (Not on Spotify though :/ ) Elvis “The Sun Sessions” and some Dolly Parton stuff.

9. What do you like to do when you're not making music?

Jonathan: I love to hit the sauna or play some squash.

Mads: I watch a lot of football. Unfortunately, I haven’t played for a few years because of an injury - but during Covid I discovered disc golf with some of my friends. That’s pretty fun. I also enjoy watching TV series with my girlfriend and/while eating pasta.

10. Name Three things you can't live without when in the studio?

Jonathan: People, talent and fun…. And all of my microphones haha.

Mads: Emotions, good melodies and a couch. Honourable mention: it’s tough when I’m out of snuff tobacco.

 

https://www.wordplaymagazine.com/blog-1/2022/10/12/phlake-phine-album-10-questions 

No comments:

Post a Comment